Tuesday, November 24, 2009


I've always wanting to find time to blog about my lil patient - Vincent.

Remember the first time i saw him. I was having my cross-training at ward 76 back then. He was a newly diagnosed patient.(Medialstinal T cell lymphoma). He just transferred from CICU, had his tracheostomy removed. He was very impatient then, because he cant speak, and when he speaks, the hoarseness is there.

He loves to eat noodle. Everyday he will be waiting for his dad's noodle.

He's a very cute and active boy when his cushing syndrome has not appear. I remembered i sqat down on the floor to play the bumble bee game with him and he's very amused that whenever i drew one stick out, all the bumble bee kept falling off from the tree. I can still remember how he laughed.

Then, his day for port-a-cath insertion came, on the day of Op, his father is still deciding whether or not to send vincent for port insertion, he's very worried for vincent! He tossed the coin infront of me to decide vincent's fate. He said.

Everything went well, he came back from Op, he got a port at the femoral line.

Subsequently he commenced his chemotherapy and had his tumour removed. And i went back to ward 75. 2nd time, he was sent down to ICU for the same problem again. He was sent to our ward a few months back. Since then, he has been staying in bed 23.
......
...
..
.

I remembered he pose for me when i wanna take his photo. He smiled.
I promised to developed the photo to him and i kept my promise.
Although he is always throwing tantrum, but he's a fillial son.

Vincent mother is pregnant, and vincent would remind his mother to take her vitamin supplements and force her to eat even thou she's full.

He made 2 bottles of ribena for me after his NGT is removed and he's always grinning away since.
However, not long after, he's back to throwing tantrum again.

Everytime, his parents talked to me about vincent, i knew he's a good boy.
I love the way how he talk. so unique. so him.


...........
.......
....
...
..
.

The time when his condition turned bad, when he's moving towards palliative care, i felt why god is so unfair, he's left with very little time to live to breathe and to enjoy his ever-long-list food.

That very day, when his condition turned very bad. He fitted twice in the afternoon, urgent CT brain was done for him, i knew i couldn't control my emotions. I knew something was not right, i knew he's suffering, i knew he might be going off any sooner. I teared.

I couldn't take his case, because i knew im emotional unstable that day. One moment they are passing report, the other moment, i'm dropping my tears. I couldn't control! I was so quiet that day! It was a very emotion day for me, for us !

I nursed him the whole evening, i dont even dared to look at his dad. But i saw his teary eyes, i'm trying to avoid contact, because i knew i cannot take such sadness. Before i left the ward that very evening, i went to talk to vincent, he asked me for money like he usually does. He heard my voice and he opened his eyes and asked me for money. I gave him. He's not satisfied as he felt that the notes were too little for him. I told him i will give it to him tomorrow. I asked him to take a rest and be "guai" And i left the room, little did i know, that would be the last time that i talked to him.

He passed away on the next day at 3am. My colleagues were in the room, watching him passed on.

At least, he's freed from his sufferings now. He's going somewhere,to his paradise, enjoying all the food that he yearned.

He's in good hands.

Vincent, u will be missed by many!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home